The Fireweed has been serving food made from scratch to the Chilkat Valley since 2000. The menu has evolved over the years to reflect an eclectic mix that still features the original oven-fired thin crust pizzas the first owner introduced to Haines from New York. After working in its kitchen for eight years, Cordon Bleu-trained chef Adam Richard and his wife, Amelia Nash, assumed ownership in 2015. They maintain a commitment to using organic and local ingredients and seafood whenever possible.
The restaurant is located in the section of Historic Fort William H. Seward Building #37, built in 1904, that was once the Quartermaster's. Army personnel and their families bought all of their bulk goods, hardware, and supplies (items like flour, oats, #10 cans of tomatoes, and even denim jeans) here. All of the wainscoting on the walls is reclaimed from the original shelving and many of the boards (old growth, vertical-grained, clear Douglas Fir barged up from Washington) still bear the stamp, “QUARTERMASTER CHILKOOT BARRACKS ALASKA”.
In 2016, the Fireweed expanded farther into Building #37, adding a new stockroom, bar, waiting area and bathrooms to the existing floor print. All the original posts, beams, window frames and flooring were restored. The new bar was built from reclaimed Douglas Fir from an old schoolhouse in Washington, in an effort to match the existing wood.
The army store in the Quartermaster's, Building No. 37